Aren’t burgers too mainstream? what if you could replace this with something different something more mouth-watering . Well i have got the perfect recipe for you , it’s none other than the epic BUTTERMILK CHICKEN BUN.
Tender busting buttermilk chicken loaded with a fiery tangy sauce garnished with the finest slaw, all this beautiful packed together in two crisp buns along with a dash of sliced cheese creating the most succulent meal.
For the marinade:
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 200 gm boneless chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt as per taste
For the flour mix:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp paprika powder
- 1 tbsp freshly grounded pepper
- salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1/4 cup corn starch
For the sauce:
- 1/4 cup mustard sauce
- 3/4 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup tomato ketchup
- 3 tbsp piri piri sauce
- 2 finely sliced pickled jalapeno
For the slaw:
- 1 cup purple cabbage – fine Julienne’s
- 1 cup green cabbage – fine Julienne’s
- 1 cup onion – fine Julienne’s
- 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Sesame seed buns or any other as you wish
- sliced cheese (1 for each)
- Oil, for frying
- 1tbsp butter
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and lemon juice.
- Marinate the seasoned thighs in buttermilk and refrigerate overnight.
- Add all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add your thighs to the bowl of flour mix and coat it well.
- Heat the oil about 160 °C in a large frying dish.
- shake off the excess flour mix and start frying your chicken for 10-15 mins until crisp golden brown
- Rest the fried chicken on wire rack to drain off excess oil.
- Your fried buttermilk chicken is ready!
- Add mustard sauce, mayo, tomato ketchup and sliced pickled jalapeno together in a bowl and stir well.
- Your sauce is ready!
- Make fine Julienne’s of the listed vegetables.
- Add apple cider vinegar and mix well.
- Your slaw is ready!
- Toast your buns with butter in a pan until crisp.
- Start to assemble by first adding a dash of sauce on your bottom bun followed by the slaw, sliced cheese, fried buttermilk chicken and again a dash of the fiery tangy sauce and top off with your crisp bun.
- Your buttermilk chicken bun is ready. Enjoy!